Sunday, September 14, 2014

A dream is a wish your heart makes... or is it your greatest fear?

I had this dream last night that I took this baking class where we could bake whatever we want but we had to collect the materials from the forest outside. Like get eggs from wild chickens, chase giant Coogoo cats and pull of some of their loose fur and grind it up as flour, or get milk from a cow and get chocolate from the leaves of a peppermint bark tree. I made things like blueberry muffins, salads, and a pizza with a cookie dough crust. 

Later on, I became such a good chef that I had to make a meal for Rachel Ray and she liked it. I also took an orchestra class, but we had to carve the instruments ourself out of wood. Soon though, at my schools, a new principal arrived. He was cruel and mean and standardized everything, and the solution for everything was go give students more and more work. The teachers, like lots of teachers, didn't like these new rules. But the new principal often came in our classes to check on us and make sure we were following the rules. He also brought along a cute, fluffy big black dog as a threat to rule breakers and shenanigan doers.

  Sometimes, he asked us questions. I answered him in a high and girly, innocent voice that was so sarcastic it was great. But Mr. Principal couldn't detect it. Once, he asked me a question. I didn't answer him. Instead, I scolds him for standardizing everything-that was so old fashioned. The new wave of the world is to individualize student learning based off of their independent thinking because not all kids learn the same way. He laughed and said I was a good jokester. I wanted to sit on him.

 Then, it turned out, he fired the teacher of my food class and he wouldn't let us go outside because it was "dangerous" and "barbaric". Instead, we had to collect food from the fridge, and he TOLD us what good we had to make, and the EXACT way to make it. And, we would only be making healthy food. Today we made QUEESH. So no more cookie dough pizza :(. 

The moral of this story is that it is a metaphor to our terrible school system that is getting even worse and we must fix it before we destroy our children! And I leave you with the question: if a bad dog is the result of a bad trainer, is a bad child the result of an adult's mistakes, or is the child old enough to know what is right and wrong and find out for themselves? 

No comments:

Post a Comment